Friday, July 22, 2011

Throwing Self Confidence Away.

I had bible study at Amy's last night and we discussed self confidence and self esteem.
And again i am truly amazed at what God can reveal to me and how there is ALWAYS something new that he is eager to show me.
To be honest, ive always had a huge fear of pride.
Theres verse after verse in the bible talking about how God will pull the prideful and haughty from their high positions and make them low. (Isaiah 2:9-19 is a great and God fearing passage on this!)
And knowing how much God despises the prideful, and knowing how easily i become prideful- scares me.
Because ive never really been able to figure out the line between having confidence and having pride.
But last night really showed me something new..and its even a concept ive heard before, but God showed me a personal revelation on it! (and until we receive that revelation, information will only be information..nothing more)

So I realized, self confidence is absolutely one of the WORST concepts we have planted into our minds.
We are all nothing. absolutely nothing.
(i know..ouch Kasey..)
but this is so true. WE ARE NOTHING. we are evil and wicked. our flesh desires what is not from God.
So now let me ask you...why in the world would we EVER SAY TO PUT CONFIDENCE IN THAT?!
When we tell people to have self confidence, we are telling them to put confidence in their own broken self. No wonder so many people have problems with depression and addictions. They are attempting to put their confidence in NOTHING.

Ive been told that im good. Im always picked as the "good little church girl" on those stupid facebook surveys. Im called good looking two shoes. etc.
Which dont get me wrong, im happy that people see that in me!
But what they dont realize is that my heart is junk.
Now if i compare it to others, i might be able to say my heart doesnt look to dirty! BUT were not called to compare ourselves to others. 2 Cor 10:12 says people who compare themselves with others are without wisdom.  i basically read that as Paul calling them stupid..haha.
But were called to compare ourselves to Jesus. And i guarantee that when my heart is placed next to his, it looks like junk. its dirt.
So I am NOT good. I am NOTHING.
And when we try to prove being good, we are trying to show ourselves as worthy. (worthy= what we deserve..and what we deserve is Hell. ah!!) And trying to show ourselves worthy means we try to create our own righteousness, not His. We dont create our own righteousness. GOD GIVES IT TO US.

Paul quotes Jesus in 2 Cor 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness"
basically thats saying until we accept our weaknesses, he cant display his power!
The greatest blessing spiritually is having nothing. Being nothing. Because it allows us to be filled with his POWER. and his RIGHTEOUSNESS.
and we cant be filled unless we are empty.

Now i dont know if i explained this well enough or not...but i encourage you to read Romans. Because it discusses this a lot. And when realizing that we are nothing, and that everything righteous in us is from God, then that book makes a lot more sense!
I also encourage you to read 2 Cor 10-12.

Im excited to be able to start living out the realization that I am nothing. Because being nothing means i can allow him to be everything.

3 comments:

  1. oh kase, this is an excellent bit of truth! The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked!(jeremiah 17:9)that means that even after we are saved, we can still be ruled by our evil, self righteous flesh.
    a very humbling post!
    miss you sweets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, this is something I had to wrestle with a lot. I always have to check and see whether I'm confident or proud in myself or in the works of God through me.

    God wants us to boast in nothing but the cross. However, when He says boast in nothing but the cross He leaves us A TON to boast about. Really He hardly limited us at all; if anything He expanded our ability to have confidence by 1,000,000,000,000%.

    Again, great post. We are nothing without God and we are everything with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this applies also to placing our trust in God-- having trust in His plan. I know I often feel like I need to be in control... which is totally having pride in my abilities and putting my faith in the wrong place. loved this post!

    ReplyDelete